A specialty coffee, a dirty chai is typically a chai latte with a shot of espresso. This chilled and blended version still combines the warming spices of masala chai, with the bold, roasted taste of coffee, but adds a solid 25grams of plant based protein, and functional carbohydrates from both bananas and dates.
I designed a version of this smoothie as the seasonal feature for a local juice and smoothie bar in Vancouver (with rave reviews!). This smoothie is a not-to-be missed boost of energy perfect about an hour pre- or post-workout.
- 1 serving Vanilla, Chocolate or Mocha protein powder (such as Vega Sport Performance Protein, Vega Clean, Vega One, Vega Essentials or Vega Protein & Greens)
- 1 cup chilled coffee
- ¼ cup coconut milk, or almond milk
- 1 frozen banana; or 1 fresh banana and 1/3 to 1/2 cup ice
- 2-3 dried dates (Medjool dates are preferred for softness and taste)
- 1 tsp fresh or dried ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- Variation: You can swap Vega One Vanilla Chai in place of the Vega Sport Performance Protein.
Add all ingredients to the blender (liquids first).
Blend until smooth.