Wondering what to cook today? We've got you with the final day of our four-part plant-based meal plan series for Earth Day 2021. We have a chocolate açaí bowl for breakfast, because who says you can’t start with dessert? Not us! There's a delicious brussels sprout and fennel salad with a Citrus Sesame dressing for lunch— a chef Hannah original —and a handmade black bean burger for dinner.
How to shop for your day of meals:
Breakfast: Chocolate Açaí Bowl
Ever have a morning where you’d rather eat your smoothie than drink it? Sit down and enjoy a large chocolate açai bowl—you won’t regret it.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 frozen açai berry pack, unsweetened
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 serving chocolate protein powder of your choice
- ¼ cup non-dairy liquid of choice (we love Silk® Unsweetened Original Almondmilk)
- 1 tsp Vega® Maca
- ¼ cup gluten-free granola (the crunchier the better)
- 1 tsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp shredded coconut
- 1-2 tsp hemp hearts
- Sprinkle of cacao powder
- Fresh, sliced strawberries and/or banana slices
- Blend your non-dairy liquid of choice with Vega protein powder, cacao powder and Vega Maca (if using).
- Add frozen banana and acai packet.
- Scrape blender as required.
- Add more liquid if required. You want this extra thick so if you do add more liquid if required. You want this extra thick so if you do add the more liquid so it slowly and sparingly.
- Add smoothie ingredients to a chilled bowl.
- Top with as many optional toppings as you like.
Lunch: Brussels Sprouts and Fennel Salad with Citrus Sesame Dressing
A simple harvest of fennel and brussels sprouts that is brightened up with fresh citrus juice and the warming flavor of toasted sesame oil.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 10 brussels sprouts
- One bunch fresh fennel
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 orange, juiced (around ¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Toasted nuts or seeds
- Apple or pear
- Dried fig or cranberries
- Roasted beets
- Pomegranate seeds
- Start by finely shredding the brussels sprouts and fennel. *For best results use a mandolin or a food processor with a blade attachment.
- Slice orange into small bite size pieces and add to brussels sprout mixture.
- Next, add all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until combined. Taste and adjust.
- Dress salad right before serving. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and any bulk it up options you like.
Dinner: Black Bean Burger
Show your grill some plant-based love. These savory black bean burgers are quick to make and delicious for all BBQ attendees. Did we mention they’re also gluten-free?
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1½ cups black beans, drained and mashed
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown rice flour, as needed
- Red onion, sliced
- Tomato, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Over medium heat sauté onion, garlic, jalapeno and red pepper in oil until softened. Add kale and cook until softened.
- Combine all ingredients together to form a dough. Add brown rice flour as a binder, if needed.
- Shape dough into six burger patties and lightly dust with brown rice flour.
- Fry in a small amount of oil until golden on each side or bake for 20 minutes at 400°F.
Looking for a summer dessert? Try this delicious stone fruit shortbread recipe for dessert.
How are you celebrating Earth Day 2021? We’re donating 25,000 trees in partnership with One Tree Planted. Want to learn more? Read the blog here. Looking for more meal plans? See days one, two, and three here.