Avoid the temptation to pitch the leafy green stems of your fresh beets. They are nutrient powerhouses too! Try them out in this smoothie recipe to take advantage of the nutritional benefits from both the beetroot and the leaves.
Beetroot is a good source of folate, and beet greens provide antioxidant vitamin A and are an excellent source of vitamin K. While this recipe calls for raw beet greens, beet greens can be served steamed, or sautéed as well. Try blending both beetroot and beet grams together into this post-workout smoothie today!
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 serving Chocolate Vega Sport® Performance Protein
- ½ cup frozen blackberries, or blueberries
- 1 cup coconut manna (butter, not oil), or 2 tbsp dried and flaked coconut (unsweetened and sulphite-free)
- 1 medium raw beet root, diced (about 1/3 cup)
- ¼ cup beet greens
- Add liquid ingredient to the blender first (coconut water, lemon juice), followed by Vega Sport Performance Protein.
- Last, add the remaining ingredients (frozen berries, coconut meat, beetroot and greens).
- Blend for 1 minute or until very smooth.