If you’re camping locally this summer, you need quick, convenient meals you can fix before you break out the s’mores. Chef Morgan’s recipe is a twist on traditional campfire veggies thanks to the addition of in-season stone fruit and fresh herbs. Pre-prep these veggies before you pack the car up and have a veggie meal ready in under 40 minutes once you set up camp. A safe, and responsible campfire makes these veggies taste even better, we swear. Make sure there isn’t a fire ban where you’re camping, and refer to these tips to keep you, your friends, family and community safe.
- 1 red onion, large dice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 fresh apricots or plums (or the freshest stone fruit you can find)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprigs of rosemary
- A bunch of fresh sage
- Aluminum foil, as needed
Assemble Before Camping:
- Combine all veggies, and stone fruit in foil and drizzle with salt, pepper, oil and lemon.
- Fold foil into a tight package. Wrap with another layer of foil.
- Store in large plastic bags.
Cook During Campfire:
- Cook over top of fire or in the coals for 40 minutes or until veggies are tender. Flip often.
Not building a campfire? You can easily cook these veggies on an outside grill (same directions) or even sauté them on a pan over a camping stove.