Everyone’s favorite French-inspired Vietnamese sandwich gets a plant-based upgrade with lemongrass tofu. Don’t feel like making tofu from scratch? Just use a pre-seasoned tofu found in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store.
- Sandwich Components :
- 2 (8 inch) gluten-free or sprouted grain baguettes
- Vegan chili mayo
- 1 package pre-seasoned organic tofu
- 2 pickled carrots
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced lengthwise
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- Lemongrass Tofu :
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 tsp agave
- 2 inches of lemongrass, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- Pickled Veggies :
- ¾ cup rice vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups daikon, shredded
- Chili Mayo :
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- Slice baguettes in half lengthwise, leaving one side as a hinge. Pull out enough bread that you have a ½ in thick shell leftover.
- Liberally spread chili mayo on both sides of baguettes.
- Arrange fillings: cucumber, tofu, pickled veggies (drained), jalapeno and cilantro. If desired, top with more chili mayo.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in food processor or blender until pureed.
- Slice tofu into 8 rectangles and place in a shallow container.
- Pour sauce over top and let marinade overnight.
- Grill or pan fry tofu until golden.
- In a saucepan, heat vinegar, sugar and salt until just boiling.
- Place carrots and daikon in a container and pour liquid overtop. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine all ingredients.