At Vega, we believe plant-based eating is as important for your health as it is for the health of the planet. We also believe sustainability is not just about what goes into our products. It’s part of everything we do. And because we believe that changing the world starts with us, and every choice matters. When we learned in 2013 that 71% of our carbon footprint came from packaging materials, we knew something had to change. So we made a change (this time not a small one!), and 3 years later we’re able to see what impact it really had.
Rewind to 2013…
Back in Fall 2013 we were the first in our category to make the switch from virgin HDPE plastic bottles to 100%Excluding 4% colorant post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic bottles.
By making this single change, we hoped to over the next yearBased on projected sales of bottled Vega products for FY 2014:
- Divert 233 tonsData analysis by Terra Stewardship Sustainability Consulting Group (terra-stewardship.com) of plastic from the waste stream.
- Save 277.9 tonsData analysis by Terra Stewardship Sustainability Consulting Group (terra-stewardship.com) of CO2—62.9% less CO2 * than virgin plastic.
- Use 14,865 million BTUsData analysis by Terra Stewardship Sustainability Consulting Group (terra-stewardship.com) less energy—85.6% less energy* than virgin plastic.
Well, how did we really do?
The only way to measure progress is to compare where you are today to where you began. As we near the 3-year anniversary of our change from virgin to post-consumer plastic, we audited the impact that single change has made.
It turns out, we’ve achieved the following environmental impact benefits so far: For the time period of 2013 – 2015 + Forecast year of 2016 volume.
- Diverted 1,349 tons3 of plastic from the waste stream.
Made into Vega bottles stacked end-to-end, that’s a stack 325 times the height of Mount Everest.
- Saved 1,611 tons4 of CO2– 63% less CO2 greenhouse gases* than virgin plastic.
This much CO2 could fill 2,044 parade balloons, making a balloon-only parade 23.2 miles long.
- Used 81,369 million BTUs5 less energy–86% less energy* than virgin plastic.
That’s enough energy saved to run 770 average detached single family homes in America for a year.
It just takes one small change to start a revolution
At Vega, we like to be some of the people there from the beginning of the revolution—but when it comes to the plane, it’s not just about us. That’s why we offered to share all of our PCR secrets with any company interested in making the switch, too. In fact, we offered it as a challenge, and gladly paid our investment forward for the greater good. We’re delighted to see other brands—including some of our competitors and store brands of our major retail partners—are now using PCR for their nutrition powder bottles.
We know you probably won’t buy a Vega product just because the bottle it’s in is made from recycled plastic. But knowing that Vega is actively making choices that support our planet might give you one more thing to feel good about while you’re enjoying your morning smoothie. Learn more about Sustainability at Vega here.