By Vega Blogger Robin of Knead to Cook
Originally Posted on Knead to Cook
Looking for another way to integrate healthy protein into your daily diet? Maybe even satisfy your sweet tooth without blowing your gym efforts? These healthy vegan and gluten-free black bean brownies are protein-packed and great for recovering muscles as an on-the-go snack or dessert. These won’t last long, so make a double batch. They also freeze perfectly.
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 4 Tbsp of water and let sit for 4 minutes)
- 4 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 serving Chocolate Vega One™ Nutritional Shake
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup of vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 candy canes or peppermints, crushed for topping
- Almond milk - if needed to thin out the batter.
Preheat your oven to 350F and spray your mini muffin pan with baking spray and set aside.
Place beans, flax eggs, coconut oil, cacao powder, sugar, Vega One® All-in-One Shake, baking powder, vanilla, peppermint and salt into your food processor. Blend until smooth.
Then add chocolate chips and pulse a few times. The batter should be thick but not too thick. Add a teaspoon of almond milk to loosen a bit if necessary. The batter should not be loose as traditional brownie batter–more of an icing thick consistency.
Using a small melon baller, scoop out the batter and add it to each muffin well about 3/4 of the way filled. Sprinkle the top of each brownie with crushed peppermint pieces.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove and let cool.
Serve and enjoy!