No matter what time of year, a warm bowl of Pho is always satisfying. Enjoy this gluten-free, plant-based version as a complete lunch or dinner.
- 1 10 oz bag dried shitake mushrooms
- 3 inches fresh ginger, chopped
- ½ head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ head fennel, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Sea Salt as needed
- 8 oz brown rice noodles, cooked according to the package
- Optional Toppings: Bean sprouts, lime wedges, lemon wedges, broccoli, blanched Mushrooms, blanched cabbage, sliced mint, cilantro, basil, green onions, edamame, organic tofu
Under the broiler, char ginger and onions until the outside of the onions is dark and the inside is raw.
Add all broth ingredients together. Bring to a boil. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. Note: The longer you simmer the soup the more flavorful it will be.
Strain soup. Reserving the broth. Taste broth. If too salty add more water. If not flavourful enough add more sea salt, gluten-free soy sauce or broth.
Serve soup with noodles and veggies enjoy!