No matter what time of year, a warm bowl of Pho is always satisfying. Enjoy this gluten-free, plant-based version as a satisfying lunch or dinner. Start by making the broth from scratch and then adding in rice noodles and whatever vegetables are in the fridge. Top it off with organic tofu and fresh herbs.
- 3 inches fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 10 oz bag dried shitake mushrooms
- ½ head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ head fennel, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Sea Salt as needed
- 8 oz brown rice noodles, cooked according to the package
- Optional Toppings: Bean sprouts, lime wedges, lemon wedges, broccoli, blanched mushrooms, blanched cabbage, sliced mint, cilantro, basil, green onions, edamame, organic tofu
Under the broiler, char ginger and onions until the outside of the onions is dark and the inside is raw.
Add all ingredients except noodles and toppings together. Bring to a boil. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. Note: The longer you simmer the soup the more flavorful it will be.
Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, reserving broth. Taste broth. If too salty add more water. If not flavorful enough, add more sea salt, gluten-free tamari soy sauce or vegetable broth.
Serve soup with noodles and optional toppings, and enjoy!