Did you have a favorite dessert when you were growing up? Mine was by far the lemon meringue pie that my grandma used to make. The crust was nice and flaky, and the luscious lemon layer in the middle lit up my taste buds. But what it was really all about in my 10-year-old mind was the meringue on top. You know how the iced part of a cupcake is a whole lot more exciting than the plain cake part in the bottom? That’s how I felt about the meringue.
These days, I still like to enjoy a slice of lemon meringue pie as a treat from time to time. The fresh taste of lemon is so light and energizing, and it just so happens that citrus fruits are in season during the spring, so now is a perfect time to take advantage of them all. If you like to have your pie every day AND eat it too, then this smoothie is exactly what you need. With Vega Essentials, and bursting with energizing lemony flavor, it’s a seemingly decadent creation that your taste buds will go crazy for.
- 1 scoop Vanilla Vega® Essentials
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1 frozen, peeled banana (or 1 ripe banana + 1/2 cup ice)
- 1 lemon, peeled, sliced in half (out white parts and inner seeds removed)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A few drops of almond extract (optional)
- Silvered almonds and toasted coconut flakes, to garnish (optional)
- 6 ice cubes
Add all ingredients except for the garnishes and ice to your blender. Blend until smooth.
Blend in the ice cubes until no chunks remain.
Pour into a glass and enjoy!