For December’s Mystery Box, we challenged three Vegatopians to come up with a cranberry-inspired dish to help you make use of all of those extra cranberries that won’t make it into your holiday cranberry sauces or side dishes.
If you’re planning a super special breakfast, these waffles will be your new favorite! Whip up a batch of coconut mint whipped cream and make it a grand breakfast extravaganza. To prepare, you’ll have to complete the first couple steps for the coconut whipped cream the night before. Get ready for a decadent breakfast feast!
- 1 1/4 cup Silk® Original Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive, canola, or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup French Vanilla Vega One® All-in-One Shake
- Mint (for garnish)
- Coconut Mint Whipped Cream:
- 1 14oz. /414 ml can coconut milk
- 1/4 to 3/4 cup organic icing/powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 mint leaves
- Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1 bar of organic dark chocolate
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a small mixing bowl and let set for a few minutes. Add the olive oil and maple syrup and whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until mixed well.
- Add wet ingredients and mix, mix, mix! Test the batter and add more vanilla extract and maple syrup if you want it sweeter.
- Let the mixture set for 5 to 10 minutes while your waffle iron preheats. Depending on the gluten-free flour blend used, additional flour may be needed to reach desired consistency. If batter is runny, add additional gluten-free flour two tablespoons at a time. Tip for that crispy crunch: set the waffle iron on high.
- Once ready, coat the iron with non-stick spray and pour on about 1/2 cup of batter. Once cooked to the desired crunch, remove the waffle and place on a baking rack in the oven to keep warm. Make sure you don’t stack the waffles so you don’t lose the crispy texture!
Coconut Mint Whipped Cream:
- Heat vanilla extract, two tablespoons of water, and mint leaves on the stove until it boils. Remove from heat and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve and extract as much liquid as possible. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- Chill your canned coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. Don’t tip or shake the can, otherwise the product might separate!
- The next day, chill a large mixing bowl 10 minutes before whipping.
- Remove the coconut milk from the fridge without tipping or shaking and remove the lid. Scrape out the top, thickened cream only.
- Place the hardened cream and mint leaves in your chilled mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer until creamy. Then add vanilla extract and organic powdered sugar and mix until creamy and smooth – about 1 minute. This is again where I like to add more vanilla extract or maple syrup to my preferred sweet taste!
- Melt your chocolate in a pot and keep warm until you serve the waffles. That’s it.
Combining the Goodness:
- Once ready to munch, top with whipped cream, drizzle with maple syrup and melted dark chocolate, and add a sprig of mint leaves for garnishing. ENJOY!