Looking to warm up? Morgan’s vegan cream of mushroom soup hits the spot on cool winter days.
- 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 lbs assorted mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces. (at VegaHQ we used portabella and button mushrooms)
- 1 cup of a good quality white wine, or vegetable broth
- 2 (15oz) can coconut milk
- 2-4 cups vegetable stock
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (and extra for garnishing)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a soup pot, melt coconut oil over medium-high heat.
Add onion and sauté 5-8 minutes or until translucent.
Add assorted mushrooms and sauté for 8-15 minutes until browned and juices are mostly evaporated.
Add wine and deglaze pot, scraping any browned bits off the bottom.
Reserve half of the mushrooms and onions and place into a blender.Add 1 can coconut milk and blend until smooth.
Add pureed mushrooms, remaining coconut milk and 2 cups stock into pot. Add more stock if soup is too thick for your liking.
Season soup with thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
Simmer soup over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.