If you’re planning Thanksgiving Dinner you might be on the quest for the perfect entrée to amaze your friends and family. We’ve got you covered. These savory, perfectly seasoned chickpea nuggets give you the taste and texture of a traditional Thanksgiving main course with a plant-based twist. Try making them slightly bigger and you’ll have chickpea cutlets too!
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp gluten-free tamari
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 Tbsp boiling water
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup amaranth or chickpea flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- Mushroom Gravy:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup maitaki mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- ½ tsp ground chia seed
- 1 cup veggie stock or water
- Sea salt to taste
Combine chickpeas, coconut oil, lemon juice, garlic and tamari in a food processor and process until mostly smooth with some chickpea pieces.
Make flax “egg” by mixing ground flaxseed with boiling water. Let sit for 1 minute.
Add flax “egg to wet ingredients and mix well.
In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients working them together by hand.
Form into patties.
Sauté in pan with coconut oil or bake in oven at 375°F for 15 minutes on each side.
Top with Mushroom Gravy or any sauce of your choice and devour.
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat. Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms have browned.
- Add half the mushroom mixture to blender and blend still smooth.
- Add ground chia and continue blending until well combined. Pour into bowl and stir-in remaining mushrooms.