Try this vegan alternative to chicken nuggets the next time you want something fast and (pan)fried. Whip them up as a fun dinner or freeze them for future snacking.
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 flax eggs (see ingredients below)
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional: 3 slices of vegan cheese
- Flax-seed Eggs:
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 6 Tbsp water
- In a small bowl, mix ground flax-seed and water together and let it sit for 15 minutes while it thickens.
- Shred carrots with a food processor’s shredding attachment (or grater).
- Steam broccoli for two minutes or until tender.
- Place shredded carrots, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, flax eggs, one cup of the bread crumbs, onion powder, and black pepper in food processor and pulse for 15 seconds or until well combined. Mixture should form easily into a ball. If it’s too crumbly, add water one teaspoon at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Form mixture into balls, about a tablespoon each (I used a cookie scoop). You should get about 25 nuggets. Flatten slightly into round discs about a half-inch thick.
- Place remaining ¼ cup bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Coat each veggie nugget with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat until it sizzles when sprinkled with water droplets.
- Arrange nuggets in skillet and cook about four minutes each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with mustard sauce, ketchup, or other favorite dip.