Now that you’ve perfected the batch lunch salad prep, it’s time to mix it up a bit.
Taco salad...in a jar? Andiamo!
- Chili lentils (recipe below)
Walnut Mushroom Taco “Meat” or vegan faux ground “beef”
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup corn nibblets
- 1 head lettuce
- Lime cilantro dressing (recipe below)
- Tortilla chips (optional: gluten-free)
- 5 Mason Jars
- Chili lentils
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup veggie stock (plus additional if lentils get too dry)
- Lime cilantro dressing
- Handful fresh cilantro (stems too!)
- Juice of 2 fresh limes
- Zest of 1 lime
Make the chili lentils:
- In heavy bottomed pan, heat coconut oil on medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add spices and salt.
- Add lentils (rinsed and drained), diced tomatoes, bay leaf and veggie stock. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If mixture gets too dry, add a bit more veggie stock.
- Once lentils are done, take out bay leaf and let cool before adding to jars.
Make dressing while the lentils are simmering:
- In blender, add avocado, cilantro, lime juice, zest and ½ cup water.
- Blend and add more water to reach desired consistency.
- Set aside
As the lentils are still simmering, chop tomatoes, lettuce and avocado into bite-sized pieces. Squeeze lemon juice onto avocado and toss to ensure it doesn’t turn brown.
Layer large quart Mason Jars in the following order:
- Walnut Mushroom Taco Meat or other Vegan Faux Meat
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chili lentils
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped lettuce
- Crumbled tortilla chips
Store in fridge up to 5 days. To eat, dump jar upside down into salad bowl and enjoy.