Pumpkin pie is so last year. Sweetie pie, this year, we’re mixing things up and making use of those leftover sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving with this sweet potato pie.
- Crust Ingredients :
- 1½ cup gluten-free baking flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup cold vegan butter
- 1-3 Tbsp cold water (as needed)
- ½ tsp salt
- Pie Filling Ingredients :
- 1½ cups peeled, cooked and cooled mashed sweet potatoes (reserve Thanksgiving leftovers OR use one can of sweet potato puree)
- 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp room temperature vegan butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Optional: whole pecans for topping
- In a stand mixer, whisk flour, sugar and salt (or hand whisk ingredients).
- Cut in vegan butter (with mixer, fork or pastry cutter) until it becomes flaky. Add water slowly, as needed, until dough starts to stick together.
- Press dough into a ball. Press ball evenly onto 9 inch, round, pie pan until bottom and sides covered.
- Chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- While crust is chilling, blend sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust. Optional: top with pecans. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. You’ll know it’s done if the center of the pie wiggles but appears firm. Test it out by shaking the pie pan. Note: canned sweet potato puree will take longer than sweet potatoes.
- Cool on cooling rack.
No time to make your own crust? No problem. Use a pre-made vegan crust. Your secret will be safe with us!