Recycle your take-out menu and delete your food delivery app, you don’t need them anymore. Now you can enjoy take-out at home with this Crispy General Tso Tofu Bowl.
- Sauce Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp potato starch
- 1 Tbsp red crushed chilli pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- Tofu Ingredients
- 1 block firm tofu
- 3 tsp potato starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp sesame or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- Bowl Ingredients
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- Toppings: Chopped green onion, cilantro, sesame seeds
If you haven’t cooked your rice, start that first. Once you start this recipe it will be ready in 30 minutes or less.
Drain tofu and press out extra liquid. Place drained tofu on a piece of paper towel, cover with paper towel and a second plate. Weigh down the top plate and set aside while you make the sauce.
Make the sauce. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside. The sauce should be thin; it will thicken when cooked. Set aside.
Steam the broccoli. Set aside.
Cube tofu. In a bowl toss tofu in sea salt and potato starch to coat tofu.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden. Flip and cook on other side. Remove tofu and set aside.
Using the same skillet, brown onion and shallots then add garlic.
Add the tofu back to the skillet. Add sauce. Cook for about a minute, just the tofu is coated and the sauce thickens.
Serve on top of rice and broccoli, topped with sesame seeds, green onion and cilantro.
- Hoisin option: Sub hoisin for tamari; reduce potato starch to 1 tbsp. *I couldn’t find a GF hoisin so this option would only be for those without a gluten sensitivity or allergy.
- Cornstarch option: Sub cornstarch for potato starch for crispier tofu. Can be subbed 1-to-1 in sauce as well.