Life can get seriously busy and often dinner feels easier to just carry-out. Try prepping the below combinations for a hands off dinner that will be ready when you are. All you need to do is spend a few hours on Sunday prepping the ingredients and then store in a freezer-safe container or re-sealable bag. On the morning of a busy day, place contents of one of the packs in your slow cooker and set on low. Come back in 8 hours and boom, dinner is served!
- Mexican Sweet Potato Chili:
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 (28oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 (15oz) can each of black beans and kidney beans
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- White Bean Spinach Stew:
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each rosemary, thyme, oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 (15oz) cans white beans, rinsed
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 6 cups packed baby spinach, kale or any leafy green of your choice
- Indian Spiced Coconut Curry:
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium yellow potatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomato (in liquid)
- 1 (10oz) bag baby spinach
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (from can)
- Chop all ingredients below and place in freezer-safe container or re-sealable bag. Place in freezer and keep there for up to 6 months.
- To cook, empty freeze ahead packs into a slow cooker plus amount of liquid noted in the directions below.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 (or until food is cooked through).
Mexican Sweet Potato Chili
- To cook, place contents (frozen) in slow cooker with 1 cup water.
- Cook until potatoes are tender and chili is thickened.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh radish, scallions, tortilla chips and salsa.
White Bean Spinach Stew
- To cook, place contents (frozen) in slow cooker with 2 cups water. Cook until stew is thickened, adding more water when you get home if needed. To eat, serve with fresh crusty bread or rice.
Indian Spiced Coconut Curry
- To cook, place contents (frozen) in slow cooker with 2 tablespoons oil (such as coconut or olive) and 2 cups of vegetable broth. Serve with additional fresh baby spinach and over basmati rice or naan bread.