Making a good meatball, without meat, is not the easiest task. Luckily these vegan meatballs are the finalist in our ball game. Serve them as a side while watching the game, and save the leftovers for a meatball sub tomorrow.
No fake meat at your grocery store? Try making these mushroom meatballs with spaghetti squash and fulfill your plant-based dreams!
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 slices sandwich bread, 100% whole grain or gluten-free
- ¼-½ cup Silk® unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1 package (12 oz) faux (vegan) ground beef
- 1 cup cooked yam, sweet potato or black beans, pureed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 jar (around 2 cups) tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a pan, sauté onion with oil until translucent.
In a mixing bowl, soak bread in just enough milk for the bread to soften. Break apart with hand until pureed.
Mix in remaining ingredients except tomato sauce. Mix well.
Roll meatball mixture into small balls about 2 tablespoons large. Roll tightly. Place on a lined cookie sheet.
Broil meatballs until they are golden and firm. About 20-25 minutes on bottom rack, flipping meatballs after 10 minutes.
Place meatballs in slow cooker. Top with tomato sauce.
Cook on low for 45 minutes– 1 hour.
Keep warm in slow cooker until ready to serve.