While this vegan french toast recipe takes a bit of time to prepare, you can certainly make the strawberry rhubarb compote ahead of time. Feel free to swap the coconut cream with something like a tangy non-dairy yogurt and choose whichever bread you like, though we think the thicker the slice the better! And one more thing–ensure your bread is stale–it makes or breaks this recipe.
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote:
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/2 in thick (fresh if available or frozen)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 pint strawberries, halved (8oz bag frozen)
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/4 tsp gum (or thickener of choice. 3 Tbsp ground chia or 1 Tbsp tapioca with 1 Tbsp coconut sugar are also good options)
- French Toast:
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (can use whole oats ground into flour)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk, such as almond or coconut
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 loaf gluten-free or sprouted whole grain stale bread, sliced to desired thickness
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (for cooking)
- A dash of maple syrup
- Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 can full fat unsweetened coconut milk, chilled
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Combine rhubarb, syrup, water into a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
Add strawberries, lemon juice, and lemon zest and simmer on stove for approximately 5 more minutes, or until fruit is soft and mixture is thick.
Remove from heat and add thickener of choice. Set aside.
In a shallow bowl combine oat flour, chia seeds, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Let sit for 3 minutes.
Slice your stale bread into desired thickness.
Place a large sauté pan on medium-high heat with coconut oil.
Dip bread into oat batter using your hands to coat the bread with some of the oat mixture. Place into pan and let sizzle for approximately 3 minutes, or until golden and crusty. Flip bread and wait for other side to get a golden crust. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
Coconut Whipped Cream:
Open can of chilled coconut milk and drain the separated liquid into a container (store in refrigerator or freeze for smoothies).
Scoop cream out of can and into medium size bowl. Add vanilla extract and maple syrup. Whip until fluffy. A handheld mixer or blender works very well for this.
Serve French toast topped with strawberry-rhubarb compote and coconut whipped cream.