You probably know that oatmeal is a great breakfast option; it’s hearty, a good source of fiber, and provides a blank canvas for every type of topping – or as an addition to a smoothie. Adding oats to your smoothie is an easy way to increase your daily fiber intake, which will aid in digestion and satiety.
In this smoothie, we like swapping out traditional oatmeal for an even higher fiber option: oat bran.
Keep it basic (without the added fruit) and top it with ingredients like granola, cinnamon and raisins for a spin on an oatmeal cookie. Blend in some strawberries or peaches and add a dollop of yogurt and you’ve got strawberries (or peaches) and cream.
- Using less liquid for a thicker smoothie, perfect to pour into a bowl and eat with a spoon and lots of toppings. Add more liquid if you’re taking the smoothie to go!
- If you have the foresight, soak the oat bran in your milk the night before. This will give you an even thicker texture.
Lastly, the cinnamon, pinch of salt, and vanilla extract are what give it the cookie dough taste but you can leave these out and you’ve still got a delicious smoothie on your hands.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1 scoop Vanilla Vega® Essentials
- or 1 scoop Vanilla Vega® Protein & Greens
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries or peaches (optional)
- 1-1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
If prepping the night before combine oat bran, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in blender and place in the fridge.
In the morning add frozen banana, ice, 1 scoop Vega, and fruit if using.
Blend until smooth.
Serves 1 hungry adult or 2 kids!
For thicker smoothies use 1 cup liquid and pour into a bowl, topping with your choice of granola, raisins, cinnamon, etc.
For an on-the-go smoothie use more milk and pour directly into a to-go cup.