With lemon adding brightness and almond adding depth, this extra-virgin lemon cornmeal cake is rich in taste and moist in texture. Sprinkled with a dusting of powdered sugar (icing sugar for those of us in Canada) it’s a cake that’s simple enough to bake on a weeknight but delicious enough to wow at a party.
- ¼ cup Silk® Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- Grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons (1/4 cup lemon juice)
- 1 cup non-GMO fine yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup fine almond flour
- ½ cup gluten-free baking flour
- ½ cup natural cane sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Icing/powdered sugar to dust the top
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease a nine-inch circular baking pan and set aside.
In small bowl combine non-dairy milk and lemon juice.
In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
In separate bowl combine olive oil, applesauce, and almond extract. Whisk to combine.
Pour wet ingredients (including lemon and non-dairy milk mixture) into dry and fold to incorporate mixture completely.
Pour into prepared baking pan and bake 30 minutes or until browned on top and set.
Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Before serving, dust with confectioners’ sugar.