Want to enjoy your Earl Grey but not as a beverage? Well, you’re in luck ladies and gents! Delight in the sweet aroma of these Lavender and Early Grey Morning Muffins as they bake, and bite into these wholesome, warming gems while reading the morning paper...even if it is on your iPad.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp almond milk, unsweetened
- 5 Earl Grey teabags
- 1 cup whipped vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (recipe below)
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup oats, finely ground
- 1 serving Vanilla Vega Sport® Performance Protein
- ¾ tsp dried lavender (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 6 cups white rice flour
- 3 cups tapioca flour
- 1½ cups potato starch
- 2 Tbsp xanthan gum
- 1 Tbsp salt
For the gluten-free all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients.
- Store the flour in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 year.
For the muffins
- Pour the milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Scald the milk (heat until milk is steaming and has formed tiny bubbles around edge). Remove saucepan from heat, add tea bags and let the milk cool to room temperature. Once cooled, remove tea bags and squeeze any excess liquid. Milk should appear medium to dark brown.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a mixing bowl with an electric hand-held mixer) beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 4 or 5 minutes). Add vanilla extract and infused milk and beat to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, ground oats, protein, lavender and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not over-mix!
- Using a small baking scoop (#40 for all you pros!), scoop into greased mini-muffin tins.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes (20-25 minutes if baking regular sized muffins), or until toothpick comes out clean.