Forget your basic waffles. This spread is all about the not-so-basic toppings in a waffle bar. Take your expected waffle performance and level up with Bourbon Berry Sauce, Blueberry Lemon Compote, and Mexican Chocolate Sauce.
- 1½ cups pancake and waffle flour (or gluten-free pancake and waffle flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup Vanilla Vega® Clean Protein
- ½ banana, mashed
- 2 cups room temperature Silk® Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, room temperature (liquid)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Basic Toppings:
Chopped nuts or nut butter
Berries (fresh or frozen)
Faux chicken strips
- Bourbon Berry Sauce
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup bourbon (No booze, no problem: sub ¼ cup water)
- Blackberry Lemon Compote:
- 2 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp room temperature water
- Mexican Chocolate Sauce:
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk (sub water for a lighter sauce)
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and Vega® Clean Protein.
- In a separate bowl, combine banana, milk, and coconut oil.
- Mix wet into dry ingredients, until combined (careful not to overmix).
*If the batter appears too thick, add more almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time. If it’s too thin add 1 tablespoon flour at a time.
- Lightly grease waffle iron with coconut oil.
- Cook waffles as per waffle iron directions (will vary depending on waffle iron).
Top with basic and not-so-basic toppings to your heart’s desire!
Bourbon Berry Sauce:
- Pre-heat saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add all ingredients to saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to a simmer for 3-5 min.
- Allow to cool.
- Blend into thick and smooth.
Blackberry Lemon Compote:
- Add all ingredients to saucepan and bring to a low boil over med-high heat.
- Boil until sugar dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Mexican Chocolate Sauce:
- Melt 1 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Add coconut milk, spices, salt and vanilla.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining chocolate.
- Allow to cool slightly (can be served warm or cool; your waffles, your choice)