Have some avocados hanging out in your fridge that you’re not sure what to do with? Why not toss them on the grill for an exciting addition to any summer BBQ spread. Stuff them with this chickpea salad to for a delicious snack or appetizer.
- 1 (15 oz/443 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber, finely chopped
- ½ cup mango, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayo (such as Vegenaise® or Just Mayo)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 large avocados (slightly underripe)
- ½ tsp salt and pepper to taste
Heat BBQ or grill pan to high.
In a food processor, add chickpeas and pulse several times. Chickpeas should be slightly mashed, but not blended. If you don’t have a food processor, simply use a potato masher.
Add chickpea mash to medium bowl and add celery, red pepper, cucumber, mango, capers, vegan mayo, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Blend together.
Cut avocados in half, take out pit and lightly coat with olive oil. Leave skin on. Place face side down on grill for 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from grill, lightly sprinkle with salt and let cool for 5 minutes. Add chickpea salad to center of avocado and serve as an appetizer or side.