Spending a few extra minutes on your dinner prep can help make tomorrow’s lunch more than just a haphazardly thrown together pile of food or soggy leftovers. Turn this tangy bean salad into some delicious and portable bean burgers for the next day with just a few handfuls of your favorite breadcrumbs.
- Bean Medley Salad:
- 1 15oz/425g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz/425g can bean medley
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 10oz/283g package frozen corn kernels
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper, to taste
- Optional: red pepper chili flakes
- Bean Burgers:
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional toppings: vegan cheese, tomato slices, and your favorite condiments
Meal One: Bean Medley Salad
- In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, frozen corn, and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, garlic, cilantro, black pepper, and chili flakes if using.
- Pour olive oil dressing over vegetables and mix well. Chill thoroughly, and serve cold.
Meal Two: Bean Burgers
- Add breadcrumbs to the salad and blend the mixture in a food processor for 2 to 3 minutes. If the mixture is still sticky, add more breadcrumbs until it has the texture of cookie dough.
- Form patties with an ice cream scoop or your hands.
- Add olive oil to a heated pan on medium and cook the bean patties for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve on a bun and garnish with your favorite burger toppings.