Not all waffles need to be smothered in syrup, covered with whipped cream and followed by a sugar coma nap. Switch out of the typical waffle routine and try one of Chef Morgan’s Savory Herb Waffles!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 leek, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tsp ground flax
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Vega One Unsweetened Natural
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-2 cups unsweetened almond milk (depending on what type of gluten-free flour used, you may need more than 1 cup)
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Roasted Pineapple Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- Agave, as desired
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
Heat waffle iron.
In a small pan over medium heat, sauté leeks and garlic until soft (about 6 minutes). Set aside.
Combine flax and water together in a bowl and set aside.
Combine gluten-free flour, Vega One, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine apple cider vinegar, oil and almond milk with flax water mixture.
Combine wet and dry ingredients until a batter forms. Fold in leek mixture and herbs. Season with lots of pepper. Batter should be thick.
Cook waffles according to waffle maker instructions.
Serve with Roasted Pineapple Salsa.
Roasted Pineapple Salsa
Preheat oven to 400F.
Toss pineapple in olive oil and place on cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown. 15-25 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Let cool.
Combine with other salsa ingredients. Taste and adjust flavoring as desired.