Oatmeal is considered a cold weather staple by many of us, but it’s easy to fall into a rut. Enter this cozy, lightly spiced Cranberry Apple Oatmeal: a tasty way to keep breakfast interesting that will warm you right up.
This recipe also works when prepared the night before as overnight oats. Simply skip the stove, combine all the ingredients except toppings in a large jar (or two small ones), and store in the fridge for the night. In the morning, give it a really good mix. Stir in a little more almond milk until the oats reach your preferred consistency, then sweeten to taste with maple syrup and dried cranberries.
- 2 cups Silk® Original Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 1/2 serving/21g Vanilla Vega Sport® Performance Protein
- or your favorite Vega Vanilla falvored plant-based protein powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp each ground nutmeg and ground cloves
- Pinch of sea salt
- Toppings: additional dried cranberries, apple slices, and pepitas/roasted pumpkin seeds.
In a small saucepan, bring the almond milk to a boil. Add the rolled oats and diced apple, then lower the heat to medium. Stir frequently for 6 to 7 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn the heat to low.
Stir in all remaining ingredients except for the toppings and continue stirring for another 1 to 2 minutes, adding another splash of almond milk if desired.
Pour the oatmeal into two bowls and top with additional dried cranberries, apple slices and pepitas/roasted pumpkin seeds.