Not feeling a solo lift in a smelly gym? Call your buddies and crush a workout outside. There’s nothing quite like surrounding yourself with like-minded people and breathing in fresh air while breaking a sweat. Give this workout a try and let us know how it goes!
Aim for 10-15 reps and 3-5 sets for each exercise below. If you don’t want to count your reps, set a timer for 40 seconds on and 10-20 seconds off*.
Park Bench Triceps dips
Triceps dips are a killer way to leverage your own body weight to work out your arms. All you need is a park bench, a chair or a set of stairs.
- Sit down on the edge of the bench. Place both hands next to your hips, palms down, fingertips pointing forward
- Using your arms, lift your butt off the bench and extend your legs (modification is bent knees)
- Bend your elbows and slowly lower your body, stop once upper arms are parallel to the floor. Your butt should be a few centimeters off the ground and your upper arms and forearms should form a right angle. Slowly lower your body by bending your elbows with your elbows pointing backwards
- Press yourself back up and repeat movement
Instead of boxes, use benches.
- Set your feet about hip to shoulder width apart
- Load your hamstrings with a minimum knee bend
- Jump up onto the bench, land and make sure your knees don’t cave in
- Keep your back flat and your core engaged
- Instead of jumping back down take a slow step down
If the jumping doesn’t feel good, modifications include step ups instead of jumps. If these feel easy, try the advanced version: single leg box jumps.
This move is fantastic as it targets your entire abdomen and can be done anywhere.
- Choose if you’ll be planking on your hands or elbows (both are great in my opinion!)
- Place hands or elbows directly under the shoulders and engage your back (retract your shoulder blades together)
- Form your body in a horizontal position with straight legs balancing on your toes
- Engage your lower back and abdomen, and pull your belly button to your spine
- Fire your glutes and legs for extra strength
Try to hold your plank for as long as possible—but remember to keep that perfect form! Don’t let your hips fall towards the ground or hike up towards the sky!
Another goldie for peachy glutes!
Grab your buddy, stand back to back, hook arms and squat down in sync. Make sure to activate your glutes, legs, and core. Stay in the squat position for between 30 seconds and 1 minute.
Mimosas taste a lot better after a good sweat sesh, believe me! Challenge your buddy for a couple of hill sprints or a run through the woods prior to your brunch date. Running, cycling, or rollerblading are other awesome ways to catch up with your friends and get your heart racing.
You can combine these moves in a different sequence or rep scheme for endless workout options. Now all that’s left to do is grab a friend, get outside, and get after it!
*Please consult your doctor before beginning a new exercise program.
When you’re working hard outside, make sure you’re are also giving your body what it needs to succeed. Try bringing pre, during, and post-workout supplements to help fuel your workout. Before you go, get yourself pumped up for that outdoor group workout with Vega Sport® Premium Energizer. Mid-workout, try refilling your electrolytes with Vega Sport® Hydrator. To finish up your workout and help speed muscle recovery, try bringing along some Vega Sport® Recovery.
What are your favorite outdoor group workout moves?