Do you have aspiring chefs living with you? Sit down with them and this how-to series on every kitchen basic they need to know to be safe and successful in the kitchen. This installment covers everything from grocery shopping to preparing veggies for recipes so they can start creating their own dishes in no time! See Kids Can Cook 101 for the first part of this series, Lesson 2 for best kitchen tools for kids, and Lesson 3 for helpful Vegetable Prep.
Before we can cook, we need to get all the ingredients needed to make the recipe and we can get those at a grocery store. But before we go to the grocery store we need to know what we need to buy, so we make a grocery list.
To make a grocery list, first you find a recipe you want to make. Let’s make this After School Snack: Celery and Vegan Ricotta 3 Ways recipe shown below.
When making a grocery list you will need a pencil and paper.
We need to write down all the ingredients we need. To make it easy when you are at the grocery store, write down similar ingredients together in your list. For example, list all the vegetables you need together so when you’re in the vegetable section of the grocery store you can grab all the vegetables you need at once.
Step 1: Read the Recipe
- 1 12 oz./340 g block firm tofu
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
Option 1: Celery Boats:
- 6 to 8 celery stalks, cut in thirds
- Shredded coconut, to taste
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Maple syrup, to taste
Option 2: Stuffed Strawberries:
- 12 strawberries, stems removed, hulled
- Optional: mint leaves for garnish
Option 3: Dippin’ Delight:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Gluten- free crackers
- Sliced veggies (I used celery, carrots, and peppers)
Now that you know what you need for the recipe, turn it into a grocery list like the one below.
Step 2: Make Your Grocery List & Go Grocery Shopping
List all the ingredients you need for the recipe under the following categories.
Vegan chocolate chips
Once you have made your list, tell a parent that there is a recipe you want to make and that you have a grocery list for the recipe. You can go to the store together to get the ingredients you need.
Step 3: Make the Recipe
Now that you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to make the recipe!
- Drain and press tofu with paper towel, between two plates, to remove moisture.
- Pick your ricotta option; creamy or crumbled.
- For creamy ricotta: Crumble tofu with your hands, add all ingredients to a food processor and process until desired texture reached.
- For crumbled ricotta: In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients with a fork until a crumbled ricotta texture reached.
- Cover and store leftover ricotta in the fridge for up to 3 days.
2. Option One—Celery Boats:
- Top pre-cut celery with ricotta.
- Add toppings of your choice and serve.
3. Option Two—Stuffed Strawberries:
- Strawberries with ricotta.
- Stick two sliced of celery in the center and serve.
4. Option Three—Dippin’ Delight:
- Add ricotta ingredients to a food processer with 1 tsp olive oil, dried oregano, garlic powder, dried basil.
- Blend until thick and creamy.
- Serve with veggies and crackers.
Now that the hard work is done, it’s time to dig in! Enjoy!