Who doesn’t want more energy when they wake up in the morning? What if investing 5 minutes first thing could turn the tone of your entire day into a more positive one? Beyond meditation and relaxation, yoga can also be rejuvenating and energizing. Don’t take my word for it, test it out for yourself! Here are three yoga poses you can incorporate into your morning routine that will add the spice to your day.
1. The Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)
- Start off laying with your back against the floor.
- With your back, head and neck on the floor, inhale as you lift both legs up towards the ceiling making a right angle with your body (the bottoms of your feet should be facing the ceiling).
- Begin to lift your lower back off the floor with the support of your hands on your lower back.
- Legs should be vertical to the floor and stretched towards the ceiling with your shoulders, neck and head still resting on the floor.
This pose encourages blood flow throughout your body to help wake up your mind and lose that mental sluggishness.
2. The Forward Bend (Paschimothanasana)
- Begin in a seated position on the floor with your back straight and your legs stretched out straight in front of you.
- Inhale as you stretch both arms above your head, elongating your spine with your breath.
- Exhale and bend forward from the hips reaching your arms to grab hold of your feet or rest your hands on your shins.
Hold this pose for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times. This pose enhances concentration and invigorates your mind.
3. The Bow (Dhanurasana)
- Start by lying on your abdomen with your forehead pressed against the floor.
- Bend your knees moving your feet towards the back of your upper thighs.
- Reach your arms back and grab hold of your feet from the outside of your ankles.
- With your arms reaching straight back, inhale as you start to arch your back and lift your head, chest and thighs toward the ceiling.
- Look up with your eyes and hold this pose for at least 10 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
If Bow is practiced regularly, it can help balance your body and strengthen concentration and mental determination.
In just five minutes you can mentally recharge your mind and prepare yourself for your day.....who knows, you might even not even have to reach for that morning coffee!