Vega is a high-growth, natural health food and supplement company on Profit Magazine’s Profit 100 list of fastest growing companies the last five years with a passion for people. Our premium, award-winning brand is at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces for Women. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as a Senior Front End Developer at Vega’s head office in Burnaby, BC. Reporting to the Director, Online Experience, the Senior Front End Developer will be responsible for engineering and supporting the end-to-end implementation of new web-based projects as well as maintaining and optimizing existing projects for Myvega.ca and .com. The successful candidate will be proactive in their approach, self-managed and driven with a creative mind-set. This role will focus on growth planning, systems improvement and the overall technical infrastructure and security of our websites.
You take web development seriously, but still have fun at work with your Vega team. You show initiative in everything you do and are always looking for ways to improve. You are open to new ideas, and you know that feedback from others helps you grow and allows you to thrive. As a performance-driven individual, you create solutions for your team and show up every day ready for a new adventure. You believe in contributing to culture – not just talking about it – and you live (and love) the Vega culture: health, fitness, and striving for always better.
- Own and manage the progressive development of the MyVega.com and .ca sites exclusively in coordination with Brand, IT, Finance, Digital and respective suppliers/vendors
- Work collaboratively with Director, Online Experience, Finance and IT to build the strategic plan for technology, infrastructure, security, and compliance for MyVega.com and .ca
- Lead, manage and execute all aspects of backend development, frontend development, and other web/ technical operations for our websites
- Spearhead the prioritization and sprint planning of website enhancements with the Product owner
- Perform full website audits for desktop and mobile UX making logical recommendations for improvements/solutions to allow for enhancement and efficiency including page speeds
- Actively participate in the budgeting and planning processes
- Lead the research and development of new technical initiatives, support mechanisms, and data analysis/support
- Implement SEO strategy on our websites
- Establish and/or implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, or procedures to ensure consistent quality, security, compliance and experience for our customers and employees
- Continue personal professional development in areas such as application design and development.
- Provide direction and mentoring to your direct report(s)
- Lead by example and demonstrate the core values of our company and culture
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as computer science, software & systems design, engineering or related field required
- 5 years advanced knowledge and experience in development using popular tools, servers and technologies needed for professional eCommerce environments
- Experience in UX/UI, API integration, performance/speed optimization an asset
- Fully efficient in front-end development but have knowledge of back-end coding, databases and Full stack development
- Familiarity developing for mobile web devices and responsive design
- Experience with Version Control Systems (Git, SVN)
- Experience in Mobile stack, a Web stack, and a native application stack
- Ability to communicate status/problems to team members and non-technical managers effectively
- The ability to handle multiple projects at once
- The ability to meet tight deadlines
- Experience in mentoring and developing junior team members
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for VEGA
- Competitive compensation plan
- Open Book Management
- Annual bonuses
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks
- An optional plant-based lunch program
- In-house gym and meditation room
- Dogs in the office – Woof!
- Bi-Monthly product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- MSP – 100% coverage
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Extended Health Plan
- Parental Leave top-up
- Green Transit incentives
- Referral bonus program incentive
- Fitness Subsidy
- Education Fund
- Employer matching RRSP Program
Let your journey begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Front End Developer” on the subject line and let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.