Vega is a high-growth, natural health food and supplement company on Profit Magazine’s Profit 100 list of fastest growing companies the last five years with a passion for people. Our premium, award-winning brand is at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces for Women. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as the Quality-In-Design (QID) Specialist at Vega’s head office in Burnaby, BC. Reporting to QA Document Control Manager, the QID Specialist will be the project management expert to ensure that new product/innovation launches meet quality and food safety parameters from the consumer, customer and brand perspectives. You will be responsible for new product development assessments, learnings and continuous improvement from past launches, ensure that products are launched on time, attendance of project meetings, and to drive a culture where quality is built into the product development. You will also be tasked to work closely with other QA functions and other departments (eg. R&I, Operations, Brand, PMO etc).
You have a passion for QMS and take customer service seriously, but still have fun at work with your Vega team. You show initiative in everything you do and are always looking for ways to improve. You are open to new ideas, and you know that feedback from others helps you grow and allows you to thrive. As a performance-driven individual, you create solutions for your team and show up every day ready for a new adventure. You believe in contributing to culture – not just talking about it – and you live (and love) the Vega culture: health, fitness, and striving for always better.
- Implement and communicate Quality requirements at Project Development Meetings
- Identify risks, concerns, gaps from a Quality and Food Safety perspective, in particular labeling implications, certifications, ingredient and packaging qualification, as well as timeline risks.
- Initiate Change Control (CC), Item Set Up From (ISUF) and draft Finished Product Specification (FPS)
- Ensure appropriate sign off for CC, FPS draft and ISUF
- Conduct product development assessments on challenges, gaps, opportunities
- Chare meeting notes and update the Quality team on project status and ensure project tasks are completed on time
- Conduct Impact assessments and execute Danone North America QID standards
- Optimize and discover efficiencies on launch times
- Assess certification impact (eg. testing, ‘free-claims”, etc)
- Ensure all key quality documentation are prepared and ready for sign off
- Change Control for new item introduction
- Customer item set-up
- Finished product specification
- Label review
- Any further changes captured by Change control and/or deviations
- Collaborate with the Danone Food Safety team on chemical/toxicological assessments
- Capture learnings from products currently in market to innovation projects (eg. assess consumer feedback)
- Coordinate and execute QA-related product testing
- Provide support to QMS team, where needed
- Other duties as assigned by the QMS Manager
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science Degree minimum
- 3-5 years of experience in Quality Assurance role for Foods, Natural Health Products and/or Dietary Supplements
- 3-5 years of project management experience is a strong asset
- Familiar with the Canadian Food & Drug Acts and Regulation, specifically in Food and Natural Health Products; and FDA regulations for Food and Dietary Supplements
- Experience in new product development and innovation
- Experience with food safety standards and regulations (HACCP and GFSI standards)
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.)
- Experience working with SharePoint an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined individual
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Ability to travel (2-3x per year)
- Strong follow-up, organization, and prioritization skills across quality, food safety and business priorities
- Auditing experience an asset
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for VEGA
- Competitive compensation plan
- Open Book Management
- Annual bonuses
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks
- An optional plant-based lunch program
- In-house gym and meditation room
- Dogs in the office – Woof!
- Bi-Monthly product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- MSP – 100% coverage
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Extended Health Plan
- Parental Leave top-up
- Green Transit incentives
- Referral bonus program incentive
- Fitness Subsidy
- Education Fund
- Employer matching RRSP Program
Let your journey begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Send us your application at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Quality-In-Design Specialist” on the subject line and let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.