Vega is a premium, award-winning brand at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. We are committed to bringing sustainable plant-based nutrition to the world and we’re proud to be part of the B Corp™ movement; a commitment to meeting rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces for Women. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as a Product Development Technologist at Vega. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Product Development, you will be responsible for the development of new products and the product improvement and optimization from benchtop sample preparation to product commercialization. In this role, you will utilize Vega’s on-site lab to perform bench-scale trials, perform analytical testing of ingredients and products as well, participate in shelf-life testing, sensory testing, stability analysis, and product concept refinement. You will also source primary and secondary ingredients in accordance with product specifications, quality programs, and product certifications and collaborate with various internal departments including; Marketing, Sales, QA, and Operations.
This position is located at Vega’s HQ in Burnaby, BC. During the exceptional circumstances due to COVID-19, we are currently working virtually while our office remains open for access.
- Perform bench scale trials and weigh up of samples as part of product development.
- Perform analytical testing of ingredients and products including but not limited to density testing, water activity, and viscosity testing.
- Facilitate proper documentation, maintain accurate records of all technical work and prepare presentations related to projects, as applicable.
- Organize, maintain and replenish the inventory of laboratory supplies and ingredient samples.
- Ensure proper care and maintenance of laboratory equipment and maintain an orderly and clean work environment.
- Developing formulations and processes to deliver on consumer expectations based on product brief.
- Participate in product ideation and core team meetings in relation to product development project.
- Source primary and secondary ingredients in accordance to product specifications, quality programs, and product certifications including the Non-GMO Project Verification, Vegan Action, USDA Organic, and Informed Choice.
- Collaborate with various internal departments including; Marketing, Sales, QA, Operations, Legal, Scientific Affairs and Regulatory to ensure the commercial viability of new products.
- Coordinate sensory validation, nutritional testing, stability testing, and product certification with corresponding team.
- Work with Packaging Specialist and facilitate necessary packaging fill and scoop tests in identifying suitable packaging solution.
- Support continuous improvement of current products to improve quality, supply chain efficiencies, and cost savings initiatives.
- Assessment of ingredients as part of new supplier development – and validation in application – as part of cost savings and supply chain initiatives.
- Support validation of deviations and change control from sample preparation to sensory validation.
- Creatively develop solutions to address production challenges with ingredients or product formulations in collaboration with co-manufacturers.
- Work with suppliers in identifying new solutions and technologies for product improvement (e.g. gum/hydrocolloids technology, flavors, sweeteners)
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum B.Sc. Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, and/or Food Science
- 1-3 years of product development experience is required (New grads welcome)
- Nutrition science background a strong asset
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- Familiarity with certifications, including vegan, non-GMO Project, NSF, among others an asset
- Experience in lab management, shelf life testing, and analytical testing
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Project, and Excel
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Passion for learning and development, you are constantly expanding your technical knowledge
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced changing environment
- Experience working in both cross-functional teams and as an individual contributor
- Detail oriented with the ability and desire to troubleshoot issues
VEGA “Must Haves”
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for Vega
- Competitive compensation plan
- Contract Performance bonus
- Vega product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- Extended Health Plan
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Summer Friday hours (June to September)
- Vacation pay
- Fitness Subsidy
- Paid volunteer days
- Referral bonus incentive program
- Virtual daily fitness classes
- Access to Vega’s Online Learning Library
- Dogs in the office (virtually on video calls) – Woof!
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks*
- Green Transit incentives*
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee*
Let Your Journey Begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Product Development Technologist” on the subject line and let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.