Vega is a premium, award-winning brand at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. We are committed to bringing sustainable plant-based nutrition to the world and we’re proud to be part of the B Corp™ movement; a commitment to meeting rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces for Women. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as a Product Development, Senior Specialist at Vega. Reporting to the Product Development, Senior Manager, you will be responsible for developing product formulations and processes which contribute to Vega’s product development innovation pipeline. With your creative mind-set, you will build insight-led concepts and create prototypes which exceed consumer expectations, all within program food safety, costs, and timing requirements. Day to day, you will research, develop, and prepare for long term innovation opportunities and pro-actively assess ingredient and technologies. You will routinely engage in rapid prototyping and collaborate with the brand team to bring insight-led concepts to the team that strategically impact and shape the Vega business.
For this role, we are seeking a creative Product Developer who has a passion for innovation strategy and design thinking; someone who has creative mind-set and enjoys building insight-led concepts driven by analytics and data.
- Develop formulations and processes to deliver on consumer expectations, within program food safety, costs, and timing requirements
- Act as the R&D driver on product attribute definition vs consumer expectations and delivering best-in-class technical solutions within each program.
- Contribute to the long-term innovation pipeline by partnering with the marketing Innovation Team, building insight-led concepts and creating prototypes to deliver on consumer wants/needs
- Manage innovation projects autonomously and mastery of the stage gate process from ideation to commercialization
- Influence the pipeline by developing technology solutions that enhance the consumer user experience across the Vega product portfolio
- Work closely with nutrition science, regulatory affairs, and legal to review clinical trial data to substantiate claims
- Design pilot trials, leading tasting sessions with R&D leadership and key cross-functional partners, and drawing conclusions and recommendations for next steps
- Identify, engage and collaborate with strategic external suppliers and partners to accelerate product development through ingredient and technology IP
- Support in execution of consumer test design, organizing sample production, and ensuring product quality follow up
- Organize and lead industrialization of formulations with operations, engineering and quality cross-functional partners
- Participate as an R&D representative for product launch/start up by preparing all specifications related to product line (except packaging), and ensuring that all documentation needed is available prior to start up
- Lead the new ingredient/technology and nutrition roadmaps
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum B.Sc. degree in food science or equivalent
- M.Sc. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or food science an asset
- Sensory and Nutrition science background an asset
- 5 years of experience in a relevant role, preferably in the sport nutrition, or the natural health product/dietary supplement industry
- Experience formulating powder products a strong asset
- Experience and passion in innovation strategy, design thinking, consumer insights, and rapid prototyping methodologies
- Strong technical skills and experience in product formulation and industrial processing/commercialization of sport and nutrition products or natural health products/dietary supplements, plant-based specific formulation an asset
- Deeper functional expertise in protein science and application an asset
- Familiar with the Canadian Food & Drug Acts and Regulation and FDA regulations for Food and Dietary Supplements (DSHEA)
- Proficiency in risk management and ability to influence key core team decisions
- Knowledge/experience in patents and trademarks
- Familiarity with certifications, including vegan, non-GMO Project, NSF, among others
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Creative and curious with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent project management, organizational, and leadership skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Project, and Excel
- Experience with Genesis an asset
VEGA “Must Haves”
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for Vega
- Competitive compensation plan
- Annual performance bonus
- Vega product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- Extended Health Plan
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Summer hours (June to September)
- Group RRSP Matching program
- Flexible, unlimited time off
- Referral bonus program incentive
- Fitness Subsidy
- Education fund
- Paid volunteer days
- Virtual daily fitness classes
- Access to Vega’s Online Learning Library
- Dogs in the office (virtually on video calls) – Woof!
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks*
- Green Transit incentives*
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee*
Let Your Journey Begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Product Development, Senior Specialist” on the subject line and let us know why you’d like to be Vega’s next Product Developer. Let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.