Vega is a high-growth, natural health food and supplement company on Profit Magazine’s Profit 100 list of fastest growing companies the last five years with a passion for people. Our premium, award-winning brand is at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces for Women. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as a Packaging Engineer, Research & Innovation at Vega’s head office in Burnaby, BC. Reporting to the Director of R&I, you will lead the packaging development and commercialization processes at Vega. You will contribute to the technical viability and competitiveness of our products through packaging innovation and management of our current packaging.
You take Research and Innovation seriously, but have fun with the Vega team! You show initiative in everything you do and are always looking for ways to improve. You are open to new ideas, and you know that feedback from others helps you grow and allows you to thrive. As a performance-driven individual, you create solutions for your team and show up every day ready for a new adventure. You believe in contributing to culture – not just talking about it – and you live (and love) the Vega culture: health, fitness, and striving for always better.
- Lead packaging innovation initiatives through the development of innovative packaging format, material, and design
- Lead packaging development through collaboration with vendors, with the cross-functional project team at Vega, and with the broader Danone Organization
- Lead small scale packaging trials and plant trials
- Lead packaging specification development
- Participate in stability studies development to assess the impact of packaging on the stability of our products
- Lead packaging qualification to ensure the proposed packaging conforms to criteria established by the legal, marketing, QA, and regulatory departments
- Lead sustainability initiatives that relate to packaging
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum B.Sc. degree in Package Engineering/technology/Science or food science
- 5 years of experience in a relevant role in the food industry or the natural health product/dietary supplement industry
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Project, and Excel
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to work with and lead cross-functional teams
- Must be able to travel to the US on short notice
- Project Management skills with experience leading cross functional projects
- Candidates must reside in BC with a valid PR or working visa
VEGA Must Haves
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for VEGA
- Competitive compensation plan
- Open Book Management
- Annual bonuses
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks
- An optional plant-based lunch program
- In-house gym and meditation room
- Dogs in the office – Woof!
- Bi-Monthly product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- MSP – 100% coverage
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Extended Health Plan
- Parental Leave top-up
- Green Transit incentives
- Referral bonus program incentive
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Annual Education Fund
- Employer matching RRSP Program
Let your journey begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Send us your application at email@example.com with “Packaging Engineer, Research & Innovation” on the subject line and let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.