Vega is a high-growth, natural health food and supplement company on Profit Magazine’s Profit 100 list of fastest growing companies in the last five years with a passion for people. Our premium, award-winning brand is at the forefront of the plant-based, whole food revolution. Vega has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada for six consecutive years and was recently awarded the #1 Best Workplace in Canada 2017. Vega has also been recognized as the #1 Best Workplace for Women in Canada for the third year in a row. We honor a triple bottom line approach to business placing emphasis on people, planet, and performance. Join a great team atmosphere with a driven, vivacious group of people.
An exciting and challenging position exists as a Director of Category Insights at Vega’s head office in Burnaby, BC. Reporting to the VP of Sales, you will be responsible for leading the development of category management capabilities and business intelligence at Vega through data and analytics. In this role, you will be utilize point of sales data, syndicated data, HH panel data, custom research, and software tools to formulate category insights that lead to the development of the Vega Category Management Platform. This Platform will guide our retailers and internal business partners on how to assort, shelve, price and promote the category and Vega Brand for maximum growth.
You have a passion for analytics and take customer service seriously, but have fun at work with the Vega team! You value integrity, you take ownership and show initiative in everything you do and are performance driven. You not only love the culture, but contribute to it. Health and fitness is not something you read about, but something you live.
- Create a vision and strategy for the Business Intelligence team and educate cross-functional teams on how to leverage data to identify opportunities to increase revenue and performance.
- Mentor and coach the BI Team, who will work closely with business stakeholders to understand their detailed requirements, priorities and identify opportunities to leverage technical self-serve and advanced analytics to enable departmental
- Responsible for working in tandem with other business leads, to evaluate and ensure that client groups receive actionable data required to improve performance.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and other team members to design and deliver reporting, dashboards, and analysis to solve specific business questions and challenge teams to ask the right questions.
- Actively participate in long-term analytics strategic planning and ensure data-related policies, procedures and processes are in place to address complex business needs.
- This team will recognize analytic opportunities to optimize business processes, prepare complex reporting & analyses and respond to ad-hoc data requests.
- Understands business requirements for data and information to support business strategy and objectives.
- Develop and build strong relationships with key retailer Buying, Planning, Category, and POG Planning groups. Focus on Top 12 Retailers both US and Canada.
- Drive assortment and planogram strategy, development and implementation that supports the Category Strategic Growth Plan as well as our Joint Business Plan with Vega.
- Working with the Sales Teams as well as future Category Captains assigned to retailers, supporting Category Management initiatives with Headquarter support
- Lead data analysis supporting Category Advisorship, including retailer performance analysis and various ad hoc customer requests (share, assortment, OSA, promotion, etc.)
- Develop customized customer reporting, tools, and insights to support joint initiatives utilizing standard management measures and systems (Tableau, ProSpace, Retail Link, IRI/Nielsen, etc.)
- Drive thought leadership through shopper insights platform development leveraging available resources and proposed custom research
- Build out best in class business analytics
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelors in Business or Marketing, or equivalent
- 6-8 years of CPG category management/sales practices and principles experience. Heavy in analytics as well as Category Advisorship roles at a Major Customer with a Major CPG company
- Sales Experience – Customer Business Manager at a Customer Headquarter level at Major Customer (preferred)
- Strong technical skills and knowledge of data and software commonly used in category management (e.g. : JDA, Apollo, Nielsen, IRI, Spectra, Retail Link, Tableau) and thorough understanding of the KPI’s
- Ability to extract meaningful insights from data sources that influence customer execution through building a Category Strategy and Selling Platform. Strong selling and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic problem solving abilities
- Ability to create a complete category management review including relevant data and actionable recommendations.
- Proven communication skills to effectively present ideas and influence decisions
- Ability to work in a matrix environment where priorities change rapidly and tight deadlines exist.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse group of people internal and external to organization.
- Travel 10-20%
- Vancouver Based is preference, but other locations (Toronto or US) considered for the right candidate.
- You have an unrelenting desire to achieve
- The outdoors isn’t just the place between your car and house
- You have a sense of humor and passion for health and wellness
- You love to have fun, but take your responsibilities seriously
- You live the Vega brand
Benefits of Working for VEGA
- Competitive compensation plan
- Open Book Management
- Annual Bonuses
- Alternative refreshment options that go beyond coffee
- On-site kitchen with in-house Vegan Chef offering plant-based food and snacks
- An optional plant-based lunch program
- In-house gym and meditation room
- Bi-Monthly product to try so that you can perform at your best and promote the Vegatopian lifestyle
- MSP – 100% coverage
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Flexible Extended Health/Dental Plan
- Green Transit incentives
- Fitness Subsidy
- Employer matching RRSP Program
- Education Fund
Let your journey begin!
If you smiled and are motivated by this posting, we want to hear from you. Send us your application at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Category Insights” on the subject line and let your journey begin!
Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer reasonable accommodations to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their time and interest in working at Vega, however, only candidates under consideration for opportunities with Vega will be contacted to participate further in this process. If you are contacted and you require any accommodation in the recruitment process due to a disability, please indicate this and we will work with you to meet your reasonable accessibility needs.